Situated off Stanhope Place is a group of double villas built around a shared private garden called The Lawn. These were built by Decimus Burton in 1834.
The Mount is a crescent of houses off Archery Road, built by Decimus Burton.
Maze Hill is lined with striking 19th century Gothic villas and is named after the maze that once occupied the top end of St Leonards Gardens.
This was the original service area of Burton's town, containing the tradesmen's and laundrywomen's quarter.
Mercatoria National School
In 1847 a National School was built at the Mercatoria, originally a trading area, by Decimus Burton. The school moved to a new site at Collingswood Drive, St Leonards C of E Primary and the old school building was converted into a Mosque after purchase by the East Sussex Islamic Association.
North Lodge spans Upper Maze Hill and was originally built as a tollgate at the Northern entrance to St Leonards.
Built by James Burton in 1830 to a mock Gothic castellated style. A toll road ran from here and joined up with the main London to Hastings Road.
North Lodge became the family home to Jane Wood, James Burtons daughter,
and a later resident was Henry Rider Haggard who wrote King Solomon's Mines amongst other wwell known stories. The archway became damaged by a large vehicle in 2002 and following its repair has remained closed to vehicles since.
Another St Leonards double villa, South Lodge West on the left and South Lodge East on the Right. The centre archway forms the South entrance to St Leonards Gardens.
St Leonards Lodge
St Leonards Lodge was built by Decimus Burton in 1845 for his own use, and later enlarged by a subsequent owner.
|St Leonards Gardens
Originally these were subscription gardens and private to residents only. Later they were purchased by the Council and made public.
St Leonards Church was originally built in a gothic style. This was the only Church ever designed by James Burton.
It is said that he originally planned to build the church on top of the hill,
however he built it on the current site due to objections about having to walk uphill to the church.
The foundation stone was laid on 8th September 1831, which was the Coronation of William IV and Queen Adelaide. The church opened as a proprietary chapel in 1832.
Five years after completion in 1837 a section of the cliff fell down and destroyed the chancel. This was later replaced on a smaller scale.
On 29th July, 1944, the church was totally destroyed by a 'doodlebug'.
The new St Leonards Church was rebuilt post-war and designed by Sir Giles and Adrian Gilbert Scott in a contemporary style with paraboloid arches. It was open for worship by April 1955, however the tower was not completed until 1961.
The current church interior has a maritime theme throughout.
Built from local Crowhurst bluestone, The Uplands is a fine group of buildings by Decimus Burton in Quarry Hill. These substantial sized double villas were constructed in the 1860's as The Uplands School for Girls and then became part of Hastings College of Further Education.