The Hollington area (like much of Hastings) is steeped in history and was officially recorded in the Domesday Book as a settlement as far back as 1086.
The name Hollington means 'dwelling in a hollow' and people have lived in the area since Roman times. During the 2nd Century the Romans excavated the rich soil for materials to make tiles and bricks for building their villas and roads.
Hollington was predominately fields, farms and woods until the early 1900's when larger scale residential building started. Much of the open spaces left in Hollington are now protected as Nature Reserve and ancient woodlands.
The majority of the housing in Hollington and the surrounding areas was built between 1940 and 1970. This 30 year period saw the area change from mainly farming community to a major residential area that connected the outskirts of St Leonards-on-Sea to the outskirts of Hastings. Castleham, Tile Kiln and Mayfield farms made way for the Tilekiln and Robsack Housing Estates.
The large open spaces available in the Hollington area were used to host three of the four major industrial estates that serve St Leonards and Hastings. The Castleham, Churchfields and Ponswood Industrial Estates are home to over 140 businesses.
Today's Greater Hollington area consists of both the Hollington and Wishing Tree electoral wards. The area is made up from five distinct neighbourhoods which are Hollington, Tilekiln, Robsack, Four Courts and Wishing Tree.
Well known for its very large beech tree which was a guide to sailors when far out at sea.
In the 11th Century Church-in-the-Wood started as a small chapel and was situated deep in the woods.
The Four Courts
The Four Courts can be seen from many points across the town and are a distinctive feature of the Hollington area. Built in 1966 to accommodate nearly 400 families, the four seventeen-storey blocks were based on a building scheme from Ramsgate in Kent. The blocks were the most expensive high-rise buildings to be constructed at that time and were named after prominent American and British politicians, Roosevelt Court, Kennedy Court, Bevin Court and Churchill Court.
Originally known as the Smugglers Oak due to a gang of smugglers being ambushed at the tree while transporting goods inland.
The name Wishing Tree is said to have been first used in a kids game made up by Robert Deudrey (a local farmer and yoeman who died in 1833).
Standing at a crossroads between local farms, the Wishing Tree served as a local landmark and meeting point for residents.
The original tree was removed during highway development in 1982 and a new oak tree was planted to mark the site at the roundabout which joins Ironlatch Avenue and Churchwood Drive.