History of Carlisle Parade
This was originally a very narrow part of Hastings promenade which the seafront road did not follow. There was a cul-de-sac at the Queens Hotel which meant that traffic passing through the town had to go down Robertson Street, through Wellington Place and a narrow stretch of Castle Street before rejoining the seafront at Breeds Place.
The new road and promenade was built by Sidney Little on land reclaimed from the sea and was opened in 1931. Constructed 70ft thick and stretching for 0.75 miles to join the two existing seafront roads from Pelham Crescent to White Rock.
Included in Sidney Little's project was a new Underground Car Park which was built inside the void created by moving the sea wall.